Probably the most recognizable crop by county folk and city folk alike. It is iconic this time of year for it's role in Fall Corn Mazes to harvest decor. It is the number one field crop in America and meant so much to Rochester Mn. that they painted their water tower to depict an ear of corn. With all that aside did you know:
- Corn is America's largest crop and accounts for more than 90 % of the total value and production of feed grains.
- Family farmers grow 90% of America's corn.
- The USA produces 40% of the world's corn
- In the USA, 87% of all the corn is grown utilizing only naturally occurring rainfall.
- Reduced tillage has resulted in a 44% reduction in soil erosion in the last two decades.
- Ethanol, a renewable biofuel made from corn, is currently blended into more than 80% of the nation's fuel supply.
- Farmers grow corn on every continent except Antarctica.
- One bushel of corn will sweeten more than 400 cans of Coca-Cola.
- There are about 800 kernels in 16 rows on each ear of corn.